Thursday, May 14, 2009

Book Sites



Its hard finding a good book to read nowadays. For one thing, I am a very picky reader. I only like reading certain types of books by certain authors. However there is always the exception to the rule. The classics for example. At Barnes and Nobel there is an entire section dedicated to the books that we grew up with. Lining the walls are such authors as Charles Dickens, Shakespear, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Jack London, Niccolo Machiavelli, W.e.b DuBois, and many many more.
Many contemporary authors share the spotlight with the classics. And they are Joyce Carroll Oats, David Sedaris, Augusten Burroughs, Mark Haddon, C.D. Payne, John Steinbeck, J.K. Rowling, Stephanie Meyer, Dan Brown, Ayn Rand, and many more that I can't list because it will take up this whole blog.
For me, what catches eye most is a good cover. That is a must. I know the saying, "never judge a book by its cover". But as a typical consumer colorful things always catch my eye. For example, I read catch 22 because of the blue cover and white letters, thats it. Well to be honest, someone had recommended it to me. And It turned out to be a funny read.

As a rule, I always carry a book with me now. I hate to be caught with nothing to do, hence the book. If there is ever a moment where I have absolutely nothing to do, I read. Not to say that I do it because its a chore, no. I love to read. And I feel as though reading has become a lost art. People are such visual creatures that they cannot stand to stare at something for too long. The brain needs stimulation. As a result, reading has gone by the wayside. TV now rules. A sad fact.
Nevertheless, finding good books is hard. Especially one that you might be interested in. So here are some good places to look. Online and in store.

www.bn.com (Barnes and Nobel Online site. It carries a wide range of books, not many rare titles)
www.powells.com (Used, new and out of prints books, just like the homepage says)
www.baumanrarebooks.com (more rare books)
www.borders.com (sign up and get lots of coupons)
www.bookfinder.com (finds books for you, what can be better?)
www.octavo.com (something a little different, rare digital books)


Check them out and type in the category, author, or genre that you are interested in and who knows, you might find a book you love.

No comments:

freedom

freedom
YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF THE ROAD

Nevertheless

and Henceforth I shall remain truly yours...